People of Swat, Dir, Buner need our Help

Swat Displaced People

Military operations are taking place in three districts that stretch over some 400 square miles (1036 square kilometers), but most of the fighting has been in the main town of Mingora, which before the insurgency three years ago was home to around 360,000 people. The military claimed to have killed more than 147 militants in Swat and the neighboring Buner region. Officials have said nothing about civilian casualties. But those fleeing the region bore tales of families wiped out by stray shells.

Fazl Hadi, a doctor at another hospital in Mardan, said 45 civilians had been admitted with serious gunshot or shrapnel wounds in recent days and was bracing for many more.

Among the youngest patients was Chaman Ara, a 12-year-old girl with shrapnel wedged in her left leg. She said she was wounded last week when a mortar shell hit the truck taking her family and others out of Buner.

She said seven people died, including one of her cousins, and pointed to a nearby bed where the boy’s wounded mother lay prone. “We mustn’t tell her yet. Please don’t tell her,” she whispered.

Swat RefugeesThis dislocation of more than half a million people has now become world’s biggest displacement crises. Sitara Imran, minister for social welfare in North West Frontier Province, called the exodus “one of the huge displacements, internal displacements in the world”. “We are preparing ourselves with the help of the federal government, we asked international donors,” she told the BBC’s News hour programme.

Yar Mohammad, a 50-year-old stone mason, said he had “poured his blood” and his best years into the development of Swat. “And now I am seeing the buildings that I have helped to construct being blown up and destroyed,” he said, blaming both the Taliban and the authorities.

Some residents complained that the Taliban had blocked their escape.

Ayaz Khan said he loaded his family into his car Thursday in the Kanju area of Swat only to find rocks, boulders and tree trunks laid across the roads, forcing him to turn back.

“I am helpless, frustrated and worried for my family,” he said.

It has also been reported that power and water supply had been shut down and all markets have been closed since Thursday. The situation is becoming Complex day by day. There is a threat of food an medicine shortage in days ahead. The roads also have been blocked or mined by the rebel which is a severe apprehension for the people.

This is the high time to help those who left their homes and now living in tents. We should help them either personally or via NGOs who are working for them like Edhi foundation, Alkhidmat welfare trust etc. The Tarkai family of Swabi has accommodated over 6,000 members of around 1,200 families of Buner and other affected towns after they left their homes in their respective areas, in thier huge house. They are approaching friends and other people to provide them with tents to accommodate hundreds of other families who are still living in the open.

Those wishing to support the affected people can approach Wilayat Tarakai on his cellphone numbers: 0300-5006160 and 0333-9858800

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s