Go!! Every year to a place you’ve never been before.
I kinda took this quote seriously few years back when I decided to start saving for trip to North. My first ever Northern areas trip happened in 2009 – after 6 years of marriage and an year long committe savings. That explains how middle class I am. It was kinda our honeymoon too coz we weren’t blessed with kids back then. I still have the diary keeping records of that trip expenses. We were a group of cousins, 6 couples and that American system wala trip was a memorable one. From a lotta for train journey that we bought from Pindi station to a cup of tea at Ayubia we documented everything lol.
After that it is like chutt’ti nahi hy ghalib munn ko lagi hoi. I crave for vacations. Something that has never happened before. The biggest question was how to save money for a trip while living in a rented house and on budget always. Well, we decided to carry on with committee system for savings and made every effort to at least save a salary every year. Then we plan our trip as per available budget and Voila!!
God has been kind and in past 7 years we’ve been blessed with two kids and a car Alhamdulilah. Ever since we’ve bought Vitz it was a dream to go for a road trip up North. Finally we headed to Northern Areas from Karachi this July. I’ve documented my trip live in tweets on the hashtag #RoadTrip and you must have read my experiences if you’re following me on Twitter.
Anyway, so it was our first ever road trip and our first destination was Lahore. We were accompanied by Brother in law who is an expert of driving and an avid traveler too. Luckily he was in Karachi and going back to Lahore the same day. So we invited him to give company & tips during the ride. He was like raat tak lahore hongay bus subha 6 bje niklo. Although I was a bit skeptical about it coz Karachi to Lahore is actually 1200+Km and as per Google maps you’ll be needing more than 18hrs to get there if you drive without staying in between.
We went to pick him up at 5:30am anyway and started my Cinderella ride. A trip that has to end at midnight. Follow this thread to get every detail from fuel to finger licking good dhabba food.
Karachi to Lahore from 6am to Midnight:
- Started the journey at 6am from Karachi.
- I was accompanied by my husband, brother in law and two kids (4+ & 2+ yrs old).
- Kept them engaged with Disney movies on LCD and a Tablet with some games. Some Lays, their feeders and cupcakes etc.
- Reached Moro at 11:30 am and it was our first stop for breakfast/brunch at Royal Taj restaurant. Wasted good 45-55 minutes there. Not worth it.
- Reached Ghotki at 2pm and entered Punjab at 3pm.
- Reached Sadiqabad from Karachi in full tank. Refilled the tank after almost 569 km.
- Vitz gave 14±Km/ltr average.
- Next stop was for lunch/dinner at around 6:30 pm near Ahmed pur East. The dhabba was at Jalla Arain and the food was scrumptious.
- Continued the journey and crossed Multan-faisalabad motorway at 9pm.
- Third refueling was at Mian Chunnu after driving 955km in two tanks.
- By 11:30 we’ve reached Manga mandi where brother in law lives.
That’s how we managed to reach Lahore before midnight the same day and I kinda consider it an achievement because of traveling with 2 kids. Also, it is important to mention that I was pregnant while on this trip. What’s your excuse of staying away from a Road trip?
Will follow up with part two of my road trip to cover my lahore experience and Road trip to Naran from Lahore.